To refurbish a listed barn into accommodation with a games room below.
Linham is a well built late 18th century barn, which had been previously converted into a family home. It also has a former 15th century Linhay which was used for garaging and storage.
The key brief from the customer was as follows.
- All work must be of the highest standard to further enhance the high quality design.
- The work to be Project Managed on a daily bases to ensure the detailing carried out is to the exact requirements of the Architect.
- The work is to respect the character of the site and to protect and enhance the built environment.
- To carry out alterations to provide an indoor games room on the ground floor to replace the existing garage.
- To remove the existing staircase and to provide a new entrance to the first floor area using horizontal sleepers and a combination of galvanised steel and hardwood.
- To improve the thermal environment of the building and to increase ares of natural daylight.
- To provide new boarded flooring, new kitchen and bedroom areas at first floor level.
- To replace external cladding with new stained cedar boarding.
- To provide an external shower area.
- To provide sliding doors on the south elevation, sympathetically designed by the Architect.
- To work extremely closely with the Architect and Local Authority to ensure the working brief is upheld.